Monday 8 December 2014

Year 3 World War 1 commemorations

Year 3 students reflect on the World War 1 week

Year 3 were asked to reflect upon what they had learnt and enjoyed about our WW1 commemorations in school. Activities included, dressing up in 1914 styles, learning about soldiers from different ethnic backgrounds, creating factfiles, reading war poetry, creating acrostic poems and holding an exhibition in school of their work.
  

Students from both year 3 classes wrote...

“I have learnt that you get poppies on remembrance day. I really liked it when we did our WW1 posters.  We all did a PE lesson with drills, it was JUST how they did it in 1914.”



“In school we have been learning about WW1. It was really exiting when the teachers taught us like they did in the past like how they did work and they sat in single desks.  In our class we talked about Christmas truce. In school read a poem called ‘Flanders Field’ and learnt about Wilfred Feeny and other famous soldiers.”

“I liked it on when we were singing a song to perform in assembly called 'It’s a long way to Tipperary'" 

“At school we have been learning about World War 1 and I really enjoyed it when we got to do handwriting, and when we did dressed up. I dressed up  a school  girl! We did a WW1 timeline which was really fun. My favourite thing was when we made a poster about the famous ethnic soldiers. I also  liked  when we learned  about ethnic minorities and one was called Walter Tull.”


In school we have been learning about WW1 we have learnt about soldier’s uniform, weapons and also food. I learnt we wear poppies in November because it was what grew on Flanders Feild”

“I liked doing posters and booklets about ethnic minorities (my table were learning about Wilfred Feeny). I liked that the war stopped because people wanted a peaceful truce at Christmas. I liked the handwriting because we copied an interesting poem called from the fallen by Laurenance Binyon”.

2 comments:

  1. thats fantastic - really enjoyed this activity!

    It was a lot of fun.

    from ava

    ReplyDelete
  2. it was wonderful


    from ava

    ReplyDelete